An Overview of Multisport Disciplines
- Swim, bike, run. Triathlon has several racing distances, from the short youth events up to ultra-distance events. Common race distances are the Sprint, International. Half Ironman® or 70.3, and Ironman® or 140.6. Although distances of each leg can vary, traditionally:
- Sprint = 1/2 mile swim, 7-9 mile bike, 5K run
- International = .9 mile swim, 15-20 mile bike, 10K run
- Half Ironman® or 70.3 = 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile/half marathon run
- Ironman® or 140.6 = 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile/marathon run
Since "Ironman" is a registered trademark, these races are now know by their distance in kilometers, 70.3 for the half and 140.6 for the full. Also, the "International" distance is sometimes called the "Olympic" distance, since that is the event distance in the Olympics. But since "Olympic" is also a trademark, it cannot be used outside of the Olympic games environment.
Read more: An Overview of Multisport Disciplines