About 3-Fitness & Wellness
3-Fitness & Wellness is owned by Ken Johnson, a coach and personal trainer in northeastern Illinois. Coach Ken is the triathlon coach and a fitness instructor and personal trainer at the RecPlex in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin. The RecPlex is the race site of the Chicagoland Trek Women's Triathlon, the Chicagoland Danskin Women's Triathlon, and the Pleasant Prairie Triathlons and Junior Triathlon.
Coach Ken also conducts training classes at McHenry County College in Crystal Lake, IL, and for the Grayslake Park District in Grayslake, IL. He is a HFPN Coach on Sharecare.com.
Coach Ken is a Wellcoaches Certified Wellness Coach and Fitness Coach, and holds a Wellness Coaching Certificate from the College of Lake County in Grayslake, IL. His Chicago Wellness column appears online at Examiner.com.
- Wellcoaches Certified Wellness Coach
- Wellcoaches Certified Fitness Coach
- National Academy of Sports Medicine Personal Trainer
- Sharecare Coaching Certification
- USA Triathlon Certified Coach (Level I)
- American Swimming Coaches Association Level 1 Coach
- TRX Suspension Training Course Certified
- Drums Alive Basic Group Exercise Leader
- BOSU Integrated Balance Training Specialty Certification
- Professional Association of Diving Instructors Instructor Emeritus
- Personal Trainer Member, IDEA Health & Fitness Association
- Red Cross Lifeguard certification
- Red Cross First Aid certification
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons CPR & AED certification
NASM Specialty Certificates
- Optimum Performance Training for Weight Management
- Cardiorespiratory Training for Fitness Goals
- Cardiorespiratory Training for Performance Goals
I really appreciate all the time and effort that you put into your courses, with the handouts, and the checklist and the laminated course maps. It shows a lot of attention to detail and I want you to know that it is noticed and appreciated!
Patti M., Triathlon clinic and private training client
- Triathlon Coach and Personal Trainer at the RecPlex in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin. The RecPlex is home to the Trek Women's Triathlon, the Danskin Women's Triathlon, and the Pleasant Prairie Triathlon and Junior Triathlon. Triathlon training classes for all of these races is offered at the RecPlex.
- Race Director for the RecPlex Indoor Triathlon series, Triathlon Championship, and Turkey 5K/Tri Combo Championship.
- Illinois Representative to the USA Triathlon Mideast Region Board of Directors, 2005-2006
- Board of Directors, Chicago Tri Club, 2002 to 2008
- In 1999, one of four members who reformed the Chicago Triathlon and Multisport Club (renamed the Chicago Tri Club in 2002)
- One of the founders of the RunBig Chicago Multisport Club, a Clydesdale organization
- Developed the RunBig 2003 & 2004 multisport race circuits
Selected Fitness Classes Developed
- Get Michelle Obama’s Arms (for McHenry County College)
- Swim 4 Fitness (for RecPlex)
- Running Your First 5K (for Grayslake Park District and RecPlex)
- TRX for Multisport Athletes (for RecPlex)
- Drums Alive!
- Swim Performance Clinic
- Strength Training for Multisport Athletes
- BOSU Integrated Balance Training
- Triathlon Swim Clinic
- Triathlon Cycling Program
- Triathlon Brick
Selected Volunteer Activities
- Ironman Wisconsin lifeguard, 2002-2010
- Race Announcer, wave starts, Chicagoland Trek Women’s Triathlon (2010) and Chicagoland Danskin Women’s Triathlon (2010)
- RecPlex 5K Series race announcer (May, August, November), 2007-2009
- Chicagoland Trek Women’s Triathlon swim start, 2009
- Chicagoland Danskin Women’s Triathlon swim start (2009), transition monitor (2004-2008)
- Pleasant Prairie Junior Triathlon registration, finish line scorer, 2005-2009
- Pleasant Prairie Triathlon transition monitor, 2005, 2007
- Other race volunteer: Chicago Triathlon, Chicago Marathon, Wild Onion Urban Adventure Race
Thank you for volunteering at the Ironman swim this year. As you know, it was a safe swim with very few people needing assistnace. I appreciate all your hard work, communication and preparation at our meetings and on race day.
Emily Jaehnig, Ironman Wisconsin Swim Captain - Lifeguards